Friday, January 2, 2009

How NOT to pick up a Lady on New Years Eve


So, this was my first official year spending New Years Eve in the city that never sleeps. Amazing right? I mean I've only lived here for almost 4 years. But, some of my friends came up from Ohio and we decided to start the New Year living large in the city. I'm fairly sure those caviar dreams faded away when we were drinking tall boys out of brown paper bags on 21st street waiting on line to get into the club that we paid $100 tickets for. Sweet.

Over the years guys have done all kinds of things to get a female's attention at the club/bar/lounge/wherever you meet ladies. They all range from the ingenious pick up lines to the surprisingly captivating comments about how your ass looks in that dress. All very romantic and uber charming. I thought I had seen/heard everything in the book given my penchant for driving the men wild at the clubs with my womanly mystique...until New Year's 09.

I'm downstairs having conversations with my friends, holding my dixie cup sized cup of what I think was a screwdriver. (Tasted like pure OJ to me). And it's a few minutes before midnight, so I think dudes began making their rounds to corral the leftover single girls. (Oh and by the way, apparently NYC is not the place for New Years as a single...EVERYONE is paired up). So I'm talking to my friends and I suddenly feel this hand on my tummy rubbing it like it's a freakin' genie bottle and he's going to get lucky and 3 wishes will pop out. Appalled that someone is rubbing my belly like a Buddha, I look to my left and it's some googley-eyed freak of a man and he gives me this look of "You know you want it baby". This is when I promptly shoved his hand away and flipped him off. Classy, I know, but it was one of those knee-jerk reactions.

What the hell? A tummy rub in the middle of a club? Who does that? Oh it gets super better.

Later in the evening this crew of kids were drunk out of their mind, probably re-creating their favorite night in college. So, I think one guy noticed my sour puss look on my face (this was after one of my friends got food poisoning and then the other two were waiting in line for the bathroom, so I was left to fend for myself in this social apocalypse). Therefore, said guy thought it would be super hilarious to come shove his ass in my face while I was texting my friend upstairs. Score. That guy got pushed too.

So...moral of the story. Avoid open bars. Avoid free mini-buffets. And avoid paying $100 for NYE tickets and sit at home with a bottle of wine...at least you know the company will be fantastic!


No comments: