Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sage dating advice from Mom...and Oprah.

If you have not had the pleasure of meeting my mother in person, or at least have heard me speak about her, then you're in for a treat. My mom is an amazing woman, was always there for me, and my parents have to be one of the most in love couples I have ever met. Their personalities complement each other so well it's uncanny. Literally my parents are one of the only reasons I continue on the conquest of finding the right mate, since I know it's possible...they obviously found it in each other.

My mother, is probably one of the most interesting characters in my life. I can only hope that I put my own daughter through the same craziness one day. For most of my mom's adult life she was a stay at home mom (which I am forever grateful for, since she was always around to help my brother and I with random things). Unfortunately, this translated into a deep love for all things Oprah. Hence, most of my advice from my mother is prefaced by the statement "You know what I saw on Oprah today..."

So, I'm used to receiving phone calls from my mother on a weekly basis in which there is some reference to my dating life. (Even though my mom claims she can never keep up with my many dates, she seems perpetually interested in them.) My mom's new thing with her dating advice is to make sure that I don't die of some awful disease (since she apparently thinks that one date with someone equals sex with them). So, she's always on the up and up on every single STD or protective device, via Oprah's breadth of knowledge. Therefore, my mom has felt the need leave me with this advice every weekend "Don't sleep with any strangers". Not anything like "Be Safe" or "Don't get mugged", just the underlying mom tone of "Try not to be slutty this weekend". Thanks Mom.

Then again this is the same mom who when I broke up with my ex and I flew back home from NJ to Ohio she left the very endearing gesture of a book on my bed. Until I read the title... my mom had bought me a book entitled "He's Just Not That Into You". Thanks for the boost of self-esteem mom, I'll be sure to mention that later when I'm sure to be in counseling from being traumatized by all the Oprah-isms.

No comments: