Thursday, March 5, 2009

Globalization Did It

So, another thing to blame for being single: Globalization. We all know how I love to displace blame on strange things, so why not a global phenomenon like Globalization? Ok, my reasoning. This should be fun and educational for all, so brace yourself.

The talk this week on everyone’s mind is the whole “Bachelor” debacle that occurred this week. Now, I will admit that I just didn’t care to watch this season. In fact, most seasons I haphazardly watch, but as I was flipping through channels realizing that nothing else was on, I decided to sink in and watch the show. (Ok, I’ll admit the crazy dramatic commercial teasers drew me in…I’m a sucker for good build up). For those of you not familiar with what happened, Jason, the single parent of a now socially paralyzed child (after this incident…therapy will be needed, guaranteed) is on a quest to find his one true love. So he dates all these twenty something girls just fawning for him and the TV cameras. He selects Melissa, the fan favorite Southern sweetheart over Molly the tomboy-ish Michiganian with ridiculously green eyes. Mr. Jason proposes to said Melissa, and then 6 weeks later on the ultra dramatic “After the Final Rose” ceremony he dumps her on national TV and then proceeds to beg for Molly back. As I sat there disgusted with the whole “men think things are always greener on the other side” phenomenon occurring before my very eyes, I sat there and started to think of lessons from my Nigerian professor in college in my Globalization class…


Basically I started examining the theory that through globalization that our world is becoming infinitely smaller and smaller in size and scope. People who used to be unreachable except by camels, horseback, donkeys and other sturdy farm friends are now instantly connected to us via technology. Not to mention the fact that our lovely American way of life is known nationwide. I mean McDonald’s and KFC is everywhere right? Oh and Lee Jeans. Can’t forget those. So this made me think of how things are now to the point where time zones, distance and cultural differences are no longer excuses for not broadening your dating circle. Obviously long distance relationships across states, even countries occur every day with the help of the Internet, email, Iphones, Blackberries and webcams.


Unfortunately, I think this subconscious knowledge that time, distance, nor culture can stand in our ways anymore, this has inevitably made us a culture of window shoppers. Trust me, I’m always looking around the next corner for something newer, better, more improved. Of course everyone always has that feeling now and again when they are with someone of “Is there something better out there?” Answer is, maybe, maybe not. But, thinking about my parents I realize that dating someone from a different state, or even a different county wasn’t much of an option, so your dating pool was limited at best. Therefore, these limitations basically mean less picky people. Because look at the competition in my hometown of Defiance, Ohio, let’s be honest. In my parents day you were thankful you found someone that wasn’t related. Sorry, bad small town joke. Either way I think you get my point.


I think in particular that is a big problem with us New Yorkers/Tri-Staters. We live in a densely populated area, filled with people from every nook and cranny around the world. It’s rare that you can come to New York and not find a community that caters to every ethnicity, interest group, or sexual group. New York really is a decent microcosm of the world, in fact the subway still amazes me how I never see more than handful of the same type of people. I love it. The diversity here is what drew me to the city. At the same time I think this innate diversity deters me from finding something permanent.


As an adventurous spirit and someone who appreciates many walks of life, I find myself constantly fascinated by people. It’s like I can’t get enough of it. Therefore, there’s always that craning of my neck looking around and searching for the next person to walk into my life. Damn you globalization and your interconnectedness. It really is that culture shock of looking around and thinking “My God…how do you even begin to choose when there are so many choices??” To me, it’s the equivalent of walking into a DSW and only walking out with one pair of shoes. It’s damn near impossible. Too many choices equals too many opportunities which means too much looking for greener pastures. I mean because who honestly wants to be stuck with last Fall’s boots? Unless…


Say that pair of boots is a timeless pair of Prada’s or Gucci’s or whatever label you love and adore but find so unbearably affordable that you save up penny by penny until finally, one day you walk proudly up to the counter and say “I want THESE!” Maybe love is like that too. Patience is a virtue they say…I still have yet to develop any though. So maybe like those fabulous shoes, you save up your love bit by bit so you can walk up to someone one day in the future and smile and say “I want YOU!” Ahh…the magic of metaphors. All makes sense in the world now.

No comments: