Friday, September 26, 2008

Purging of Comforts

Ok, so I meant to write this one a long time ago when I had the epiphany for this particular post on my commute into the city one day. So, forgive me if it's not as fabulous as I originally intended it to be.

So, if you know me, you know that I tend to value my sleep. Which means I have perfectly planned my mornings in a manner such that I wake up at the last possible moment with the least amount of time to get ready and get out the door to make it to the office by 9am. Unfortunately, there are mornings where I hit snags. Such as I can't find anything to wear, or I can't find my Nine West right heel. Either way, sometimes it leaves me with running out the door without breakfast, or if I do eat something it's maybe something small like a banana. This then means on my way to work I torture myself with the debate of "Well, do I REALLY need that bagel and cream cheese? Or should I be good and get the fruit and low-fat yogurt?" I'll admit about 99% of the time, the bagel wins. (But to justify, or at least rectify my guilt I'll get a cup of fruit to accompany it). Call bagels my comfort food. In New York, they are always there. Any time of the day you can find a bagel. It's that familiar thing I can always go to. It's like my version of man's best friend, except mine comes in a carbohydate form rather than a furry dog form.

Relationships I have with people in my life are similar to my "food comforts". We all have those comforts in our lives, those things that we always cling to, or run towards when we've run out of options, or when we just need a sense of something familiar, thus making it a comfort. Sometimes we cling to that comfort because we're scared of trying something new (I mean, scones are an option right?). But as humans and creatures of habit, we love reliability and familiarity. I mean that's what being an adult is right? Stability. Strength. Reliable. Resourceful. Ok that sounds like a car commercial now. However, I think this clingy-ness to comfort keeps us from moving forward sometime.

I mean take the bagels for instance. I have been trying for ages it feels like to lose a few pounds before Halloween, but those damn bagels! If I could remove them, purge myself of their comfort, I could move forward with my goal. Much like if I could purge myself of comforts I have with people in my life, I could move forward in becoming a better more loving person. Instead, the comforts allow us to "blame" something other than ourselves for the impeding.

So, I suppose the take-away lesson learned from this post is that purging of comforts is good for the soul. It allows you to broaden, to become a more open individual. One that doesn't just hope for comforts, but welcomes the uncomforts of life because those may eventually turn into future comforts.

No comments: