Monday, April 13, 2009

Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon...

Ok, I’m sure the moral of this story is not going to be the least bit surprising. Guys, I know you hear it all the time that women want intimacy, they want romance, the simple touches like candles and soft sheets. But my curiosity is what makes great sex for men? Is it those evenings where your lady gets a tad bit dirtier than normal? Or are you just like all of us woman and are too scared to admit that oh my, you enjoy connectable sex too! Please say that’s so. I think deep down you’d agree.

So, let me bring back some of my philosophical learnings from school. See mom, I did earn that degree, and I still remember stuff! Excellent investment. Anyways, one of my favorite Greek philosophical stories was that in Greece they believed that when human beings were first placed on this earth that at one point we were all conjoined to another person. (Imagine walking around with 4 legs and 4 arms, how cool). Anyways, the gods upstairs were none too happy with the infinite amounts of happiness this brought to us lowly humans, so they yanked us all apart and broke us into individuals. Hence, the rest of our life we were destined to roam the earth searching for our true soulmate, or former conjoined partner. Oh so romantic. I particularly love this story because it also accounts for same sex coupling, which is cool to hear that the rainbow flags were flying way back in ancient Grecian times. But I guess are we really surprised given the movie Spartacus?

Either way, I’d like to think of myself as somewhat of a romantic. Though, I’m sure most of my friends would squash that assumption and think I’m way too jaded to have that Charlotte from Sex and the City type of romantic optimism. Instead my Miranda-jadedness is probably more of an accurate identifier of my thoughts on love. As I have grown older you always begin to question the Cinderella fairytales that were thrown at you from an early age. “Oh no worries, your Prince Charming is just right around the corner!” Yeah right mom, next thing you’ll tell me is that you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your Prince. If that’s the case I’ll just roll like Sleeping Beauty and pass out until Mr. Handsome decides to get off HIS ass and find ME. Amen Disney, Amen.

But is there really just one person out there that fits you. That complements you, completes you and intrinsically is your yang to your yin. My jadedness says no, but my heart says “Yes, he’s there.” But logically, how can only one person be that match for you? I mean I’m practically a chameleon version of myself. I’m like the Madonna of dating. My “type” of guy morphs with my social environment and is always evolving based on my age, location, education, job, changing political values, morals, etc. So how could just ONE person match that same path and fit my mold of a man throughout each step of that journey? Seems damn near impossible to me.
So why this constant search for our “soulmate” or the person that fits you so well? I’ll admit I gave up that search long ago. But, it’s the search that I’m on now that’s the most difficult. Giving up the romanticism and searching for that life friend. Your life partner, your accompanist to your life’s song, your support. Biologically we’re all geared to look for certain qualities in one another, but emotionally, we are infinitely complex, but I think deep down all anyone wants is companionship. A person who walks that evolving chameleon life path with you and not only adapts to the environment, but helps push you to stick out from the crowd in all that camouflage. Because in this world, it’s guerilla warfare, and we all need a sharp shooter that has our back. So finding your life partner in essence boils down to biology. It’s easier to stand together than stand alone.

No comments: